04 March 2008

Sponge Cups

Last night, I made Sponge Tarts. We were at Vivocity for lunch this afternoon and were having coffee at Toast Box when I saw those sponge cakes wrapped with paper. I was just wondering aloud to hubby whether I could bake something similar.

I made a batch just now and wow, I did it.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Sponge Cups - makes 10 muffin cups
4 eggs
90g caster sugar
100g cake flour
25g plain yogurt
90g butter, melted

1. Sift cake flour and set aside. Line muffin tins or paper cups with baking paper.
2. Whisk eggs and sugar at high speed till light and fluffy, ribbon state (approx 5min). Reduce to low speed and continue to whisk at low speed for 1-2min.
3. Gently fold in cake flour in batches.
4. Fold in yogurt, followed by melted butter.
5. Spoon into cups and bake in preheated 160oC oven for 20min.
6. Cool completely on rack, before storing.

Notes
** changes to original recipe: omit sponge gel/stabiliser and replace milk with yogurt
** variation: add some raisins.

Original recipe > Baking Mum: Sponge Cake

No comments: