03 March 2008

Sponge tarts

I don't know why I bought those aluminium foil cups that are meant for tarts. They were sitting there, an eyesore. I came across this Spongecake recipe and thought I should just bake a very small batch to get rid of the foil cups. I shall call them sponge tarts.

** no photos, because I'm lazy to compose the picture.. hahahaah **

Sponge Tarts - makes 8
2 eggs
50g caster sugar
50g cake flour
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
12.5g milk
45g melted butter

1. Sift cake flour and set aside. Grease foil cups.
2. Whisk eggs, sugar and vanilla essence together at high speed till light and fluffy, ribbon state (about 3min). Continue to whisk for 1min at low speed to stabilise the batter.
3. Gently fold in flour into batter.
4. Add milk into the batter by the side. Blend well. Similarly, add melted butter.
5. Pour batter into cups. Bake in preheated 150oC oven for 20min, till a cake tester inserted in the centre comes out clean.
6. Allow to cool on rack before storing.

Notes
** Too sweet, can reduce the sugar content.
** Reduce or omit milk. Batter too runny.

Taste notes
** The sponge tarts remained soft when we took it for breakfast. I have slightly overbeaten the eggs again, but this time, the effect was great. It tasted like the baked brown 鸡蛋糕 my mom used to buy from the market. Yummy! All gone! I couldn't resist! Looks like I got to bake more tonight, if I have the energy!

No comments: